Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Measure of a Man


How does a man measure? I mean, what system to use. I have no problem ordering 500 grams of fish. I fill the mighty Toyota with 40 litres of gasoline. I know that I could run 5 kilometres before collapsing.

None of these things have an emotional or personal dimension to me, but if they did, they would be measured using the old imperial system.

If the world does not beat me down, I will always stand 5'7 inches tall. My weight may fluctuate, but I will always report it to my doctor in pounds. If I were to build a home I would frame it on 16” centres.

When I travel by car I calculate time and distance in kilometres, but if you are a person that I love, and I can't be with you, you will always be miles away.

The picture above is of me at about half of my current age. I'm sitting atop Dundas peak looking out at the railway corridor that passes through that area. You can bet that if I'm sitting there thinking of the romance of trains, my mind was not in a metric mode.  

1 comment:

georgia b. said...

what a great picture! it seems like such a grand view. how you must have felt atop that peak.

i don't know where Dundas peak is, but it looks like a place worth driving many miles (or kilometers) to see.