Monday, June 8, 2009

The Golem of Galt


What is it about dolls that unnerve me so?

there eyes hold no life, but seem to glow.

They sit in silence, just sit and wait

for Mrs. Shelly's lightning to animate

I know that these things are made for play,

but to me they are golems of rags and clay.

I found this evil pair outside the locked door of the Goodwill donation centre. They were just left there, the centre was closed and I guess the donor didn't wish to have them in their house after the sun went down. I don't blame them.

I left them in their cardboard coffin and finished my errands at the plaza. When I returned home I made sure the door was locked.

4 comments:

joyce said...

A post fitting for a Halloween tale! (ps...ever seen that movie about that evil doll - Chuckie?) bbbrrrr....gives me the creeps!

georgia b. said...

that poem is really good, p.
{i'm assuming you wrote it.}

i am sort of creeped out by dolls, too. i always have been. i've never owned a doll. they somehow never interested me. now when i see the anywhere, i think how creepy they seem.

great photo! i love the monotone color—perfect for this post.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

When I was a child, I had nightmares about dolls. Vacant eyes,lifeless hair, painted complexion. Thanks for saying it so well.

Unknown said...

this makes me smile. i loved dolls as a little girl as my two favourite activities was playing house and school school. but i too have come across some strange looking creatures. i especially don't like it when their hair gets all matted.