Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chicken Pie


I was at the supermarket yesterday with my son. His mother was pushing the cart far from us down an unknown aisle and he and I were doing what we do best, joke around. He has my sense of humour or perhaps you could say that we share a common one.


The store had advertised a sale on beef so he and I headed to meat department. We saw something that appealled to our chuckle headed nature. Around the beef display area there was a crowd of shoppers all digging through the cello wrapped meat, searching for the best looking chunk to take home. I grabbed my son by the arm and told him that they look just like lions on the African plain, feeding on a fresh kill and he and I were just a couple of hyenas too timid to take a bite.

We bypassed the hungry pride and found a nice small chicken, it wasn't on sale but it looked good and our family can get three meals out of a small chicken.
Bird in hand my son and I went off to find his mother and the cart. We were laughing, laughing like hyenas.

5 comments:

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I love chicken pie. For me, it's comfort food. Autumn is in the air, here. Maybe I'll have chicken pie tomorrow evening...

georgia b. said...

oh, this had me chuckling myself. having seen and heard your laugh on one of your videos, i can almost hear your chuckle now.

makes me miss going shopping with my dad in the grocery store. ang and i always preferred going with out dad, because we could always break him down more easily than my mom. in other words, we had a harder time getting my mom to give in and get the sugary foods we wanted. but with dad, all we had to do was be his sweet little girlies, and off to the cereal aisle we would go for something not as good for you as oatmeal or raisin bran.

he'd also let us sample cherries and candy in the produce section.

as insignificant as a simple grocery store story might seem, these are the kinds of things that c. will remember for a long time to come. i love that you have good times like that with him.

Dagmar said...

If only I could have heard you both. Would have cracked me up. Love to hear you spend happy times with you kid. Those moments are the best and they'll never forget.

So you don't mind me coming over to eat some leftovers from that chicken? Looks delicious.

joyce said...

Okay, please share how you get three meals from one chicken. Are you sure it wasn't a turkey? I can get a big chicken pie (9 x 13 pan) from one chicken, but there's not usually much of it leftover!

Peter Tschirhart said...

Okay Joyce, here ya go. Meal #1: I buy a three pound chicken. I have this really sharp little folding knife that I use for everything. I remove one breast with wing attached, wrap it up and freeze it. I bone the rest of the chicken making sure that I get every bit of meat that I can and cut it all into small pieces. I brown the bones in a stock pot with a little olive oil and add bay leaves salt, peppercorns, celery, garlic and onions. I cover the bones with cold water and make a stock. Oh I add a little curry powder to the mix as well. I take half of the minced raw chicken and brown it in a big skillet, then I add stuff like carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, peas, all that good stuff that you'd find in a tradition British meat pie. I add half the stock to the pan and then after simmering for an hour I thicken with flour an then have my filling. This makes an 8x5 pie, just enough for 3 hungry people.

Meal #2 pick every little bit of chicken off of the bones and add it to the leftover stock, add celery and mushroom slices, or rice or barley or noodles serve with big crusty rolls and you have a hearty meal that you barley had to work for.

Meal #3 take the rest of the minced chicken ( I hope you froze it ) brown it in a skillet with a little oil and add half a bag of frozen fancy vegetables, plum and soy sauce. Serve over basmati rice and you have a great stir fry.

Now you still have a chicken breast that you can BBQ for a spouse who won't eat red meat. You and the kid can eat hamburgers and not feel guilty.

Meal # 4... Order PIZZA!