Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Canada Day 09


I remember working with a couple of guys a few years back they were first generation Canadians. Their families had immigrated from Europe when they were young children. I can't remember what we were talking about, but I said something about Canadian culture. The guys just laughed at me and one of them said that the definition of Canadian culture was ketchup on kraft dinner.

I thought that was a funny line. It made me think. Canada doesn't present the greatest culture to the world, nor does the US. I'd have to give that title to France.

I love living in Canada, enjoying the rights of a citizen that can only be had in a liberal democracy, rights guaranteed under a strong charter.

This is a nice place. Coast and woodland, prairies, mountains and a North that is more then just a direction, its a place thats vast and wild.

Tonight I'm cooking chicken the best way that a person can...Italian. I'm be drinking the finest beer...German. I'll be doing this in the best place for me and my family...Canada

Happy Birthday Canada!

6 comments:

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Just for the record, I love ketchup on Kraft dinners (especially mac & cheese).

georgia b. said...

hey! speak for yourself! the u.s. is so cultural! okay . . . maybe not. i love that "ketchup on kraft dinner" line. when i went to europe, i realized just how young and immature the u.s. is.

our nation's birthday is right around the corner, too. maybe we are not known for our old world culture that has stood the test of time, but i am proud of the diversity that the u.s.has—i guess that is what you might be saying too. some day i will make it to good old canada and learn more about this place that produced one of my favorite people—mr. peter t.

happy birthday to canada!

{ps. i've always loved that pic!}

Peter Tschirhart said...

My kid loves KD and he eats ketchup on everything. I serve it up to him with beans so that the protein is balanced.

I'll concede, Georgia that U.S. culture may be slightly more refined then Canadian because you guys invented Jazz and the Simpsons. :)

Have a great fourth of July!

joyce said...

I'm glad you wrote about Canada Day, I was going to, but didn't know what to write. Its funny, I was thinking almost the same thing about "canadian culture", specifically, I was trying to think of a food that's truly and classically canadian. I couldn't think of anything, my son offered up poutine.

Peter Tschirhart said...

Hey Joyce, what about raw seal? It has to be better for you then poutine. :)
Nanaimo bars? Maple syrup?

Dagmar said...

What a great post. And yes to be honest with you, it's European you accually all are ;-) Since we've came to that wonderful place called Canada and explored it (and than you all were born, just joking here) Unfortunally a lot of europeans did bad things to the native people and because of that I'm deeply ashamed.
But I love this post still and the photo is amazing.