Saturday, July 25, 2009

Oak


Oak trees have always been a favourite of mine. I like how they stubbornly hold on to their brown, crisp leaves well into winter, like an old man with a full head of hair. Where there are oak trees there is wildlife, acorns are a great source of food. I once read, somewhere, that oak trees are the most likely to be struck by lightning. No wonder the ancient Celts revered them, for they are chosen by the gods of the sky.

I understand that French oak makes the best barrels for ageing wine. I've tasted it, in a bottle of Bordeaux, I must recommend it.

Have you ever noticed that the fruit of the oak, the acorn, has a tiny little hat, like the beret of a Frenchmen? The connection to wine in the light of that fact seems all the more appropriate.

The largest oak that I know of in Cambridge is an ancient one at the northern end of the cricket field in Victoria park. I could take two or three of you and join hands and we may still not encircle it's trunk.

6 comments:

georgia b. said...

wonderful lines in this photo, p.

i read a quote i liked once about oaks. i am almost able to think of it, but i could not. so i looked for it on line. could not find it there.

but i found this one, and it made me smile.

“Every oak tree started out as a couple of nuts who decided to stand their ground.”

there were several other deep quotes about oaks, but this one decided not to take itself so seriously, and that is why i liked it. :)

i like the tiny hat of a frenchman picture. i believe you are right, now that i think about how an acorn looks. i'll never look at an acorn the same again.

Dagmar said...

Oh Peter, these lines are wonderful chosen. Never think off the fact that the little fruits of the oaktree with hats look like Frenchmen. But they sure do. I love oaks too so nice and stong with big crowns, they are the best next to birch they wistle so nice in the wind. And my livingroom floor is really really old french oak... So nice.

And to your quistion no it's not Rosemary in my window. Just a simple nice plant of what I don't know it's name.

Unknown said...

Peter this photo took me straight back to Africa.

Thank you for that!

Oak trees were my dad's favourite and they are mine too. Their shade is different to other trees, their leaves somehow sing.

Peter Tschirhart said...

I love that quote Georgia, It's funny but it reminds us that great things can start small and light heartedly and grow strong like our friendship.

Dagmar, I'm a fan of the birch as well. I like how there are these kind of "nodes" on the trunk that look like eyes.

Claire, I think that the image of a tall tree on the savanna has a universal appeal. Maybe because, regardless of ethnicity, we are all the sons and daughters of African immigrants. Science has taught us a lot about human origins and it looks like the African continent was that place "Just east of Eden"

joyce said...

I do miss Ontario's wonderful oak trees..and maples too. The only trees in my region are aspens, firs, & pines. But I remember collecting the acorns when I was little and making acorn men!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Oak trees, to me, represent longevity (some living 200+ years) and strength. Beautiful photo! Thank you for sharing.