Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cell Phone Tower-Tower of Babel

I'm not very good with numbers, higher math has always eluded me. When I see people applying concepts to numbers and figuring things out like , how much the tip at a restaurant should be, I am left in awe. A jealous awe I should add, for when someone demonstrates a talent that I don't possess,my humanness makes me jealous, not in the really bad, Catholic theology, 1/7th of the deadly sins kinda way. Just a benign, I want to have also.

Try to imagine how confused I am when I attempt to understand the cause of the global economic crisis, being that global economics isn't a strong point for a guy who can't tell you what 15% of a $12.50 order is. Challenged as I am, I think I can say with a bit or certainty, what wasn't the cause.

A raise in the minimum wage I don't believe had anything to do with it, I think community sponsored agriculture may be off the hook as well. We certainly can't blame the creation of more child care spaces or the funding of programs for youth at risk. Harm reduction strategies, socialized medicine, lower tuition fees, and the Kyoto accord, I feel are all innocent.

I don't buy into the old proverb: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. -I would choose good old human greed as a more direct route.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

georgia b. said...

too funny. you had me laughing. i think you're problem is that you tip 15% instead of 20%—it's way easier figuring out 20 than 10. i'm glad i'm not a waitress in your home town. :)

really neat photo, by the way.

and, as far as the economy goes, i'd have to agree with your philosophy. very well put!