Saturday, February 7, 2009

Turtleneck


Sometimes a Thursday will suddenly tower over you, it will try to push you down and break you. When this happens you need to put on your turtleneck sweater, because there is something about a turtleneck that makes you walk upright. It causes you to level your gaze as you you meet your fellows on the the street. A construction worker will flick away his cigarette and nod at you as he meets your eyes. He knows what kind of man you are, he sees you as a peer. The man in the suit is friendly toward you, he holds the door and lets you enter the coffee shop first. The girl behind the counter smiles, she seems glad to see you, you don't usually come in at this time of day.

Later as you walk down the street with a warm paper cup in hand, you catch sight of yourself reflected in a shop window. Even before you recognize the figure that gazes at you from the pane of glass, you think, My God, that man has dignity.

2 comments:

georgia b. said...

“when all this started, I asked myself, 'Am I going to withdraw from the world, like most people do, or am I going to live?' I decided I am going to live-or at least try to live-the way I want, with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure.”

— Mitch Albom

spread your wings said...

i really like this post.